Version: 1.1 Platforms: Symbian OS, UIQ Categories: Games Upload Date: 18 Apr 11 Developer: Peter van Sebille
Distribution Type: Freeware
File Size: 1176 Kb
Rating: 2.0/5 (Total votes: 4)
EChess is the port of Crafty (open source chess engine) and WinBoard (open source chess frontend) for the the SonyEricsson P800/P900
· Game engine is Crafty 18.13. EChess comes with Crafty's opening books (first 20 moves).
· Frontend is a port of Winboard 4.2. For flip open I've used the WinBoard bitmaps, for flip closed I've designed them myself.
· You can play white or black and change it during the game. You can also put EChess in edit mode, which means you can make legal moves for white and black.
· Files are saved in standard portable game notation format (pgn). Although EChess stores just one game per pgn file, it does handle pgn files with multiple games.
· When you load a pgn file, EChess will automatically replay the game for you, notifying you if there is an annotated comment (flashing comments button) for a move. There are lots of annotated chess games in pgn file format out there.
· You can change the tags and add comments per move, just as in the Windows version of Winboard; these will be stored as part of the pgn file.
· Easy toolbar controls allows you go back and forth in the game and examine your moves.
· When moving away from the chess view, the games is automatically paused; alternatively you can pause the game manually.
· Crafty (the engine) will ponder in the background whilst it is your move. To preserve battery life, it will not do so when the game is paused.
· Time control. By default you play a 5 minutes - 40 moves game but you can change that to whatever you want.
· Options to change patterns and colors using EChess' built-in fancy RGB-color chooser.
· Flip closed chess board view. Although the functionality is somewhat limited, you can fully play chess in flip closed; use the jog dial to move pieces around. Pressing the C key toggles pause/resume and the back button takes you back to the standby view. Oh, and EChess is present in the FC apps list.
· For the experts: you can send commands to the chess engine from the "action" menu. Here's a list of the commands you can issue. You can also edit the crafty.rc file from within EChess for any option you like. Here's the crafty documentation online. Note that you have to restart EChess after changing crafty.rc.
Like it? Share with your friends!
If you got an error while installing Theme, Software or Game, please, read FAQ.
Other Symbian Freeware of Developer «Peter van Sebille»: