Symella is a basic Gnutella client for mobile phones based on the S60 platform. It is capable of searching and downloading, but it does not upload any data in its most recent version. It supports multi-threaded downloads, which means that if multiple users have a particular file, Symella can download the file from several locations simultaneously.
The number of search results returned highly depends on the quality of the peers you are connected to. Symella connects to peers randomly, and no algorithm is implemented for choosing the optimal (fastest) peers. Thus, searching for the same content, after restarting the program, can result in different number of hits, since the set of connected peers can be completely different. However, an anonymous profiling tool was introduced which helps us to improve the SemPeer protocol, which is used by Symella, in order to help you obtaining more relevant files and fight against spams. SemPeer and profiling can be disabled in the settings menu.
Be patient with the downloads! It can take some time until the transfer starts, since it can take some time until one of the target peers accepts your connection request.
Just like any other application which accesses the Internet, Symella generates network traffic. You should be aware that mobile network operators usually charge for the amount of downloaded data.
Follows Gnutella 0.6 draft:
· Most things that could be solved on this mobile platform are in it. Handshake, standard Gnutella messages, Pong caching, connecting, querying, downloading (except Push messages). It doesn't have a sharing subsystem though, it has no sense having one on a small platform like Symbian - it concentrates on searching and downloading. It has no GGEP or HUGE implementation, just plain Gnutella messages.
· As the draft suggests, it uses GWebCache, hostcaching and a primitive message caching to make communication easier.
· Does the search by the book - collects files with the same hash into one result, resulting in faster download later.
· Uses swarming technique for downloading - splits the selected file into more small parts, and downloads them simultaneously - faster and more effective than the one-threaded download.
· Only one search can be active at a time, but multiple downloads can run in the background, even from different searches.
Opens downloaded file:
· Open the downloaded file with the corresponding program, if available (MP3 player, picture viewer, etc)
What's New in This Release:
· Rebuilt Symella with a new certificate, which should be valid for 10 years from now. The list of default GWebCaches has also been updated, and dynamic screen layout changes should work from now (rotating the screen won't mess up the UI).
Like it? Share with your friends!
If you got an error while installing Theme, Software or Game, please, read FAQ.
Other Symbian Freeware of Developer «AMORG»:
SymTorrent SymTorrent is the first BitTorrent client for Symbian OS