Speex is an Open Source/Free Software patent-free audio compression format designed for speech.
The Speex Project aims to lower the barrier of entry for voice applications by providing a free alternative to expensive proprietary speech codecs.
Moreover, Speex is well-adapted to Internet applications and provides useful features that are not present in most other codecs.
· Narrowband (8 kHz), wideband (16 kHz), and ultra-wideband (32 kHz) compression in the same bitstream
· Intensity stereo encoding
· Packet loss concealment
· Variable bitrate operation (VBR)
· Voice Activity Detection (VAD)
· Discontinuous Transmission (DTX)
· Fixed-point port
· Acoustic echo canceller
· Noise suppression